Friday, May 17, 2019

My Wedding Night


                                                       It's my wedding night
                                                       I stand in the doorway wearing
                                                       a white negligee with blue trim

                                                       I say negligee because it's that time

                                                       and I am so very young

                                                       Behind me a bright light

                                                       in front of me the dark room of your body

                                                       In that moment I know

                                                       I've made a terrible mistake

                                                       the loss of freedom incalculable





6 comments:

  1. We can more easily recognize our grave errors in hindsight--LOL!
    But sometimes you get a shudder of portent at an unexpected moment.
    Took me half my life to learn to pay attention to those and not just shake them off.
    I loved this!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recall the moment still, decades later. It was an awakening, shall we say. And a very tough moment. I also learned to be a better listener. It makes life a whole lot easier when I pay attention.

      Glad you like it and thanks for commenting. :)

      Delete
  2. Your poem is profound and universal. I've read it several times in recent weeks and didn't know what to comment. I know my bride had reservations 50 years ago, so did I, but we were more certain of marriage than we were of anything else back then. It was a very dangerous time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so grateful you returned and left a comment. We were so young ... I guess I'm now enjoying the years I didn't have then. And, ultimately, I have no regrets.

      Delete
  3. We have to carry some weight every now and then to a distant we could. It helps to construct the body, mind and soul. If it is too much to bear and impinges on one’s growth, it’s our birth right to unload the burden and continue the journey towards better light. He who holds the universe together knows the secret of the reasons behind all mysterious happenings in life. But, we don’t and if we know that, God or whatever one may choose to call will cease to function. We all learn and keep on learning new things to experience a better living.

    Well expressed experience in a few lines. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this kind and thoughtful response. I spent ten years inside that marriage and then had to go. Your thought, "If it is too much to bear and impinges on one’s growth, it’s our birth right to unload the burden and continue the journey towards better light," is perfect and so true.

      I'm grateful for your understanding.

      Delete

When leaving a comment, Blogger requires you "Select a Profile." Please do so, or your comment will disappear into the ether...