Monday, February 18, 2019

Gifts


                                      when my parents started spending winters out west
                                      I  knew they would not be coming back
                                      not to us, their children

                                      but they returned with gifts
                                      each spring

                                                          honeycomb under glass
                                                                               a small book of haiku
                                                                                                      a silver barrette for my hair





4 comments:

  1. Mine went south to Florida--winters, then full time. No gifts to know you were thought of. Such precious treasures. Even the obligatory Christmas calls ceased over the years. They were busy with friends. Were back to their summer trailer park for a couple of months each summer. 35 years later--car accident, one gone, one injured. Family rallied round. The mother was surprised they wanted her back in Minnesota and still loved her. Blood is thick.

    Loved this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like yours made a somewhat stronger break than mine. What I appreciate is that they showed us how to live life more fully and the gifts were a reminder of that. I still have the book of haiku and the barrette, among a few other things.

      Yes, blood is thick. Amazingly so. :)

      Thank you, Rita. I hope all is well with you.

      Delete
  2. My father died in 1960; my mother in 2001. They are still in my dreams, young and vigorous. I am glad they are there, but sometimes I have cross that amnestic edge of sleep/waking to the realization of their absence. Treasure the memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dreams of my parents are also of them at a younger age. I treasure them more as time goes by .... their gifts were many, both tangible and intangible. Thanks for commenting, Geo.

      Delete

When leaving a comment, Blogger requires you "Select a Profile." Please do so, or your comment will disappear into the ether...